Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Strays

This afternoon, God taught me a lesson about what concerns His heart most about the world. When I went to Aldi, a young man asked if I could support his cause by purchasing a candy bar. I said, "Not today." He asked again if I could at least give a donation, hoping in his heart that I'd change my mind. His hands visibly soiled and his gumpy disposition finally caught my attention, but I still said, "Not right now." My mind was concerned with other things. So, I moved on.

After taking care of another "urgent" errand, I left the Jewel-Osco only to be confronted by another "person in need." At first he appeared more engaged with the coversation he was having with a woman it seemed was familiar to him. However, he briefly interrupted it to ask as I exited through the automatic door, "Can you help me out?" His frumpy, old bag and dark-skinned legs drew my attention, his eyes calling out for compassion; I responded, "Can't help you out. Sorry." I was in a rush to get home, in a rush to prepare for small group, in a rush to not be too concerned with what could have been a gospel moment.

As I neared the house, just a quiet block away, I saw a small, wire-haired dog in the middle of Wrightwood Avenue. He was almost hit by a car. My heart went out to it. I slowed my car in an apparent attempt to catch up with it, to keep track of it. The driver behind me blew his horn. I pulled a u-turn in the middle of the street in order to pull over, in order to "catch" the dog.

A man on foot had the same endeavor it seemed. He carried earbuds in his hand. We were fruitless in our effort to keep up with it. The dog proceeded to walk down an alley way. I called out to it, and the little thing stopped and turned around. It seemed to have my attention now, both of us making eye contact. I proceeded to get out of my car and walk toward it. The wire-haired dog, unconcerned about my "apparent" compassion, turned around and ran away from me, around the corner into the other alley way.

The man with the earbuds in his hand who seemed to be just as concerned about the dog as I was, caught up with me. I asked him from my car if the dog belonged to him. He replied no. I assumed that the dog was "lost" although it appeared that around its neck was a collar with a tag. I told the man with the earbuds in his hand the the little, wire-haired dog had run around the corner into another alley way. He peered into my eyes from a distance and frankly replied, "I guess it knows where its going," and continued to follow the dog's unmarked trail.

Then Jesus went throughout all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom, and healing every kind of disease and sickness. When he saw the crowds, He had compassion on them because they were bewildered and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. Then He said to His disciples, "The Harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Therefore ask the Lord of the harvest to send out workers into His harvest." Matthew 9: 35 - 38

Question. Do you view people the way God views people, or are you chasing down the wrong strays?

No comments: