Thursday, July 14, 2011

Better than Life

Thought for the Morning: Tuesday, November 18, 2008


As I prayed this morning in my classroom, God impressed on my heart a thought that I seldom think about as I negotiate through a world system that emphasizes the needs of “self” over the needs of others. Although Christ promises us abundant life, His purpose for our lives is not that we have better ones, but that in His name, to His Father’s glory, and for the increase of His kingdom, I make better the lives of others. David expressed in the Psalms his praises to God for His loving-kindness: a deep, unselfishly loving faithfulness. It is this loving-kindness, he says, that is better than life itself (Psalm 63: 3).

What is my life? Does it consist of the abundance of things and the satisfaction of self-interests? Or is it Christ who is my life? Because Christ is my life, I have the ability by the power of the Holy Spirit to comprehend God’s loving-kindness toward me (Ephesians 3: 14 – 21). God’s provision (physical needs, spiritual formation, and emotional support) for me in all things ensures that I will be uniquely taken care of and it frees me to place focus on the lives of others. Hence, if I understand God’s deep love and unfettered commitment to me, which is my life, then by the power of His Spirit, I can share that deep love and unfettered commitment toward others. When I allow nothing to be done out of selfish ambition and conceit, but in lowliness of mind esteem others better than myself, then I am fulfilling the second commandment: to love thy neighbor as thyself.

No comments: